The History of IHC.....
The Independent Hose Company No. 1, host company of the 1992 Centennial Convention, has the proud distinction of being the oldest volunteer fire company in the State of Maryland still in continuous operation.
Originally named the Frederick Hose Company, it was officially organized in 1818 and the name changed to the Independent Hose Company. At this time the color green and the number 1 were adopted which are still in use today.
The first quarters were located near the old courthouse. In 1846, ground was broken on West Church Street for a new two-story firehouse that was occupied until 1978. At that time, due to the large growth rate of Frederick City, the Company moved to its present four bay modern quarters on Baughmans Lane in the western section of town to better serve the growing community.The first piece of apparatus used by the company was a small hand engine affectionately known as "Grandfather"; made in 1764 and used until 1880 when it was replaced by a steamer made by LaFrance and named "Romeo".
In 1908, the Company purchased the first motorized piece of apparatus in the state, a pumper from Howe Company. The company has continued to replace and update its apparatus, and presently has a rescue engine (RE-11), structural engine (E-12), tanker (TNK-1), ladder tower (TWR-1), brush truck (B-16), 2 ambulances (A-18 & A-19), advanced technical rescue support vehicle (ATRS-1), canteen (CAN-1), 2 utility vehicles (U-1 & VAN-1), duty buggy (D-1), and Chief's buggy (C-1).
Today, the Company is a combination volunteer / career station with approximately 250 members, 75 of these being active volunteers and 7 career personnel on shift. The Company responds to over 6000 calls yearly. Training is accomplished through the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, in-house training, and out-of-state courses.
The Independent Hose Company is proud of its past, its accomplishments, and its membership.